"Going to the roots of the Frank Family"
April 20, 2024




  Photo Album

  Mailing List

  Contact us

Astle & Hepworth
Hereditary Thyroid Cancer
Learn More

Unknown Photo

Do you know these children?

Grace Emily Astle Frank
A Life History Told In Her Own Words

PREVIOUS   1  2   3   4   5   6   NEXT

Grace - April 1932
Grace - April 1932

Seth hauled rock, with a team of horses, from the quarry in Providence. He worked there for two or three years in the summer time. He helped his brother, Austin, thresh grain in the fall. He then worked at the Lewiston sugar factory from about October to March for $1.00 an hour.

We then moved to Seth's parent's house where we lived in part of the house. We had a kitchen and a bedroom. We had to carry the water from outside and heat it for baths, etc. and then carry it back outside to empty.

We were able to use Grandma's front room for a bedroom when Lauretta, Yvonne, and Brent were born. The doctor came to the house. It cost us $50.00 for each baby. Louis was also born in the Frank home.

Before Louis was born, I worked at the beanery where they canned beans and I earned 25 cents per hour. I went at 4:00 a.m. and got home around 1:00 p.m. Seth tended the kids, cleaned the house, etc. while I worked because he could not find a job. I also worked at a Japanese laundry in Logan for 25 cents an hour. I had to iron shirts by hand and the sheets were ironed on a mangle. I walked to and from Logan every day because we didn't have a car of our own. I worked five days a week.

Seth, some friends, and I went to a dance one night and on the way home we got in a car wreck. My nose was broken in the accident. The doctor put a cast on it and I had to wear it for about two weeks. This was while I worked at the Japanese laundry.

In 1935, Louis and Ella Frank gave us our first washing machine. I had that washer until 1958 when we moved into our new home. I cooked on a coal stove until 1958 too. I only had three washers and two stoves before 1999. We got our first refrigerator in 1942. I still have it in the basement.

Seth worked for my dad for two years while my brother, David, served a mission. He was paid $75.00 a month. Seth ran his father's ground which was about 13 acres. He also hauled the town's milk to Bordens Milk Factory for his brother, Austin, part-time.

When Lauretta, Yvonne, Brent, and Louis were young, we went camping in Blacksmith Fork Canyon on weekends. We slept in a tent and cooked over a bonfire. We ate our meals on a big rock by the river. Seth would go to Providence early in the morning to haul milk for Austin then come back again in the evening and stay over night. We were the only ones in the canyon that stayed overnight.

In July 1944, Seth bought a threshing machine. He threshed grain for people in Cache Valley for about four years. He worked for Anderson Lumber in the winter months.

In the 1940's, Seth and I took Grandma Frank and Lamont and Genevieve Pilkington (Seth's sister and her husband) to Yellowstone Park. We took a small trailer that had a top on like a covered wagon, food and a tent. Seth and I slept in the trailer. The others slept in the tent. During the night, bears came to the tent and tried to get in because they could smell fish and other food. The Pilkington's scared them away but the next night Grandma would not sleep in the tent so she slept in the car. Seth heard noises so he got up and looked out in the moonlight and a bear was standing on his hind legs looking in on Grandma. We stayed for four days. Seth caught fish and we cooked them over a fire. Aunt Marie Garrett tended the kids. Louis didn't want Aunt Marie to bathe him so he hid under the bed for hours but she found him and bathed him anyway.

We got our first radio in about 1940.

Effie was born in the Logan Hospital on September 8, 1944. Collene and Charlene were born in the same hospital on September 5, 1948. They cost us $80.00; that was the doctor and hospital bill. In February, 1949, the twins were ill with pneumonia. Collene had to go to the hospital because she could not get the needed shots at home. Grandma Frank, Seth, and Lauretta took care of Charlene and the other kids for a week as I had to be at the hospital.

I taught Sunday School when Effie was three years old. When the twins were four years old, I began to teach Primary and taught six year olds for about 20 years.

Each year in September, we made a tip to Brigham City to buy peaches for bottling. I bottled 108 quarts. We also went to Tremonton to pick tomatoes for bottling as our garden never produced enough to bottle. I also bottled beans, cooking them three hours as we did not have a pressure cooker. We had to cook corn four hours. It was nice to finally get a pressure cooker as it only took 20-40 minutes to bottle these vegetables.

PREVIOUS   1  2   3   4   5   6   NEXT

Last Updated: September 30, 2023  
Secure Connection You are viewing this page over a secure connection.  
Copyright © 2006-2024 - FrankHistory.com